Pillows are such a fun crochet project to create! They are kind of like painting the walls….a few short hours and voila – a totally different look! This easy Puff Pillow pattern is worked with just one skein of yarn and is so soft and scrumptious, you might not want to put it down.
For this pattern, you will work both sides of the pillow and then seam them together. You can use a pillow form or just use one of the pillows you already have on hand…perhaps an older pillow that is a bit worn on the outside, but still soft and fluffy.
This Bernat Velvet yarn is so soft you might find yourself just zoning out and cuddling with the skein! Seriously, if you haven’t tried it, grab one today! We used the Blush Pink color, but it comes in a lot of gorgeous options. My kids can’t keep their hands off it when we go to the yarn store.
- Yarn: 1 Skein of Bernat Velvet in Blush Pink
- Hook: US K/6.50mm
- Ch: Chain
- SC: Single Crochet
- DC: Double Crochet
- Sl st: Slip Stitch
- Ch 2 sp: Chain 2 Space
- Rep: Repeat
- Rnd: Round
Crochet Puff Pillow Pattern
Finished measurements: 17”x 17”
Ch 38 loosely.
Row 1 (Right side): Sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across: 37 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn; sc in first 4 sc, * [(YO, insert hook in st or sp, YO and pull up a loop even with hook) 4 times in next sc, YO and draw through all 9 loops on hook, ch 1 to close. (Puff St made)], sc in next 3 sc; repeat from * across to last sc, sc in last sc: 8 Puff Sts.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn sc in each st across.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn; sc in first 2 sc, work Puff St in next sc, * sc in next 3 sc, work Puff St in next sc; repeat from * across to last 2 sc, sc in last 2 sc: 9 Puff Sts.
Row 5: Ch 1, turn; sc in each st across.
Repeat Rows 2-5 for pattern until piece measures approximately 17”;
Weave in ends.
Ch 36 loosely.
Row 1: DC in 4 ch from hook, DC in each ch across: 33 DC
Row 2: Ch 3 and turn. DC in first DC and each DC across: 33 DC
Repeat Row 2 until piece measure 17” in height. Do not fasten off.
Attaching the Pieces Together:
Holding the front and back pieces together, evenly slip stitch all sides together around a pillow of the same size.
Weave in ends.
Tips and Other Ideas
- If you want to have a fully reversible pillow, just work the front side twice and seam together.
- You could work this in another yarn, just make sure to check your measurements with your pillow.
- Have a different size pillow to cover, no problem! Just measure and make sure you are crocheting to your measurement. You could even do this one on a rectangle pillow as long as you pay attention to your own sizing. The puff stitch used is easy to adapt!
- The puff stitch in this pattern includes the chain 1 to close it, so work into the space between the ch 1 and the puff close in the next row of sc. So, the puff with chain counts as one stitch, not two.