We are so happy to be able to offer this free knit cable scarf pattern to all our readers! This knit cable scarf pattern has it all! It is a great introduction to cables in knitting. The pattern has all the details of the yarn and needles and step by step instructions.
One Pattern, Many Options
The different elements of the pattern repeat and you can use this basic repeat cable pattern to make this scarf or to go beyond and create something larger or a different size altogether. If you repeated the pattern more, you could end up with a large wrap, a lapghan or even a larger blanket. You could also resize to a square to make a pillow cover.
That is how flexible this pattern is! Once you learn how to make these cables, the sky is the limit!
- JUNIPER MOON FARM Herriot DK (lightly worsted) weight 100% Baby Alpaca (3.53 oz/218 yds/100 g per skein): 3 skeins Talc
- Cable Needle
- Row Counter
- CO: cast on
- Slk: slip one knitwise
- Knit: knit
- Purl: purl
- C6B: slip next 3 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K3 then K3 from cable needle.
- Sts: stitches
- Rep: repeat
- RS: right side
Knit Cable Scarf Pattern
Finished measurement – Approx. 9″x30″/22.86cm x 76.2 cm
Row 1 (RS): S1k, p1, k1, p2, k6, p2, k1, p1, k1, p4, k6, p4, k1, p1, k1, p2, k6, p2, k1, p1, s1k.
Row 2: Purl first and last sts, k the knits and p the purls.
Row 3: S1k, k the knits and p the purls.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Row 5 : S1k, p1, k1, p2, C6B, p2, k1, p1, p4, C6B, p4, k1, p1, k1, p2, C6B, p2, k1, p1, s1k.
Row 6: Repeat Row 2.
Row 7: Repeat Row 1.
Row 8: Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 5-8 until scarf measures desired length, bind off in pattern (k the knits, p the purls).
Weave in ends and block.
Tips and Other Ideas:
- Want a shorter/longer scarf? Simply knit to your desired length!
- Slip the first and last stitches knitwise on all right side rows.
- After initial 8 row set-up, you will make the cables on every 4th row.
On all other rows, you will simply knit the knits and purl the purls.
- Using a solid colored yarn will show of the cables best.
- Be sure to check out our other Knitting patterns!