Do you love adding handmade touches to your Christmas decor as much as I do? It just makes things seem so much more cozy and meaningful to me. When we decorate our tree, I love to pull out the old ornaments and think about each one as I put it on the tree.
The look of all the different colors and styles and shapes and sizes warms my heart and makes our tree beautiful.
My kids each have a little tree in their rooms and like to decorate it themselves. Rather than go buy some ornaments that will fall apart soon, I decided to make some cute ones that they could keep.
My kids are not the delicate heirloom crochet type (think more rough and tumble crochet that needs to stand up to the task type), so I wanted to use a standard worsted yarn and then add a jingle bell for a final touch.
These are super quick and an awesome stash-buster project too. These are easy enough for your kids to make themselves if you are teaching them how to crochet too. (If you want some help with that, check out our Kids Crochet Camp).
You can use pretty much any yarn that you have on hand, even a bulky one! I worked up some using the following materials and you can see how those look.
- Red Heart With Love Premium
- I hook – 5.5 mm
- jingle bells
- ornament hooks
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
Crochet Jingle Bell Curl Ornament Pattern
Into 2nd ch from hook, work 3 sc; then work 3 sc into each ch to the end,
Finish and use ends to attach a jingle bell with a double knot.
Trim off ends of yarn after knotting.
Attach to tree or other decor with an ornament hook or yarn loop
Tips and Other Ideas
- Chain more to make the swirl longer if you have a larger tree.
- Use any size or color jingle bell to match your project and add some flair – I used some red, some gold, and some rustic brown ones.
- Attach multiple Jingle Curls to a longer chain to make a banner to hang on your fireplace or windows.
- Use a bulky yarn and a rustic type of jingle bell to match a rustic decor theme.
- Leave off the jingle bell and attach some holly leaves and berries or a little bell or whatever holiday trinket you want to include.