This beautiful crochet cowl pattern all started with the yarn! Have you ever picked out some yarn and then searched for the perfect pattern? I visited a local yarn shop, The Yarn Cloud, and found this beautiful and super-soft yarn from Sublime Yarns. My kids and I couldn't keep our hands off of it and I decided then that I wanted to make something that would keep this yarn close to my skin. That is how this lovely solid shell stitch cowl pattern was born!
I used Rose's method of the solid shell stitch and basically just worked it around and around without stopping. I wanted something close to my neck and face, so this one is small and meant to hug your neck and chin. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Solid Shell Stitch Crochet Pattern Materials:
- Yarn - Sublime Evie - Latte - Shade 509 (just over 1 ball)
- Hook - H, 5mm
- ch - chain
- sl st - slip stitch
- hdc - half double crochet
- 5dc - 5 double crochet stitches into one stitch (shell)
Crochet Cowl Pattern - Solid Shell Stitch
Row 1 - 1 hdc in first stitch and each stitch around, slip stitch to first hdc, chain 1
Row 2 - 1 hdc in first stitch and each stitch around, slip stitch to first hdc, chain 1
Row 3: 1 sc into 2nd st from hook, *skip 2 stitches, 5dc into next st (shell made), skip 2 stitches, 1sc into next stitch; repeat from * to end,.
Repeat working the solid shells around and around without stopping until the height reaches 5 inches.
Last two rows - 1 hdc in first stitch and each stitch around, slip stitch to first hdc, chain 1, then repeat. Finish and weave in ends.
- If you have only one ball of yarn, just do one row of hdc at the beginning and one row at the end.
- Test the chain of 79 to make sure it fits around your head to wear. If it is too small, increase the chain count. Make sure it is multiples of 6 (+1).